Wife was treated for depression before marriage wants divorce

can I file divorce case if I found that my wife is taking antidepressants pills or she has been treated for depression but she or her family didn't informed us before or even after marriage

Answers (4)

89 votes

Wife being treated for depression is no basis of divorce in court of law. Court takes cognizance if the person is of such a medical condition that he/she may prove dangers for the life of the other spouse. However this behaviour has to continued and not limited to one or two odd instances.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

89 votes

Definitely you can file divorce case because it's a misrepresentation of fact by your in laws and in law have provision for this.
And as per the section 5 of HMA it's mandatory to represent everything if they try to skip something serious then, you can go for nullity of marriage as per section 11 or 12 of HMA

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate Saifuddin Saifee
Maharani Road, Indore
18 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience
259 votes

If a person is suffereing from depression that is not a ground for divorce unless she sufferes from insanity attacks. If you want divorce, talk to her. Why did you want to divorce her? Depression is curable. She needs care and attention of yours. Your wife is ill. You are acting like a narrow minded husband. What do you expect from her? If you cannot support your wife in times of her needs, I am sure in future if at all you get a defect free wife, you would not get the care and attention you longing.

134 votes

You can file for annulment of marriage on the ground of not disclosing this fact at the time of before marriage. But it can not be filed after one year of marriage.
Depression itself is not a ground of divorce but affecting adversely mental capability is mental illness which is ground for divorce.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Articles

"LawRato.com has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Similar questions

I am a Roman catholic,married from 5 and half years and have a 4 and half year old son. I have decided to live separately from my husband but dont int…

Read More

Hello sir/mam , I got married in 2014 but from 2015 we r living separately . And I filed for maintainance case in 2016 but in 18 I got a job as a t…

Read More

want to know the procedure for Divorce? how can we file for it? what are the kinds of Divorce…

Read More

Sir, my marriage was in may 2017.no children.. we both ar e hindu. My husband filed a marriage nullity case in Feb. On the ground of asthma and pile…

Read More