×

What should I do if my wife files a false complaint of 498 a

My wife had ran away with jewellry and i had loged a police complaint her and also filed a court case against her. Now she is filling a false complaint of dowry in police station at her city.Police called us and i had given all documents of police complaint, court case etc. But DSP police of her city said give 2 or 3 lakhs to her and return court case otherwise we will file case of dowry against you. And calling us to come police station again and again. What should i do now?

Firstly you can file petition under section 9 of Hindu Marriage Act for the restitution of conjugal rights if you want to keep your relations going and it will also help you in criminal proceeding also.

You should immediately file anticipatory bail. Anticipatory bail can be applied if there is a reasonable apprehension I’d arrest in a non bailble case .Whether F.I.R u/s 498 a is registered or not by the police till now does not make any difference.

Advocate Preeti Joshi

You may ask the DIG/ IG of the area to transfer the investigation of the case to some other police officer may be out of district as you are being threatened and apprehend false implication in Dowry case. You have not mentioned if you are willing to live with her. If that is so, you should file a case for restitution of conjugal rights U/9 of HMA. You can also file a complaint in Court for theft of jewelry if the same belongs to other family members. You have not mentioned what case you have filed.