What should I do if my wife and her family is blackmailing me

21-Apr-2023 (In Divorce Law)
Dear Sir, My spouse has left home on Nov 10th 2017 - marriage date -23-02-2017. still now she has not turned back and hiding somewhere in hostel and blackmailing me and forcing me to come for separate living. I told im not interested and not force me, her parents are also forcing me whenever i call them to ask her daughter re join. They put single word if you come separate by leaving my aged parents fine else where your choice we will not give divorce we will drag things 7 years and give divorce as to yield to a beggar. my wife is earning 70000 p.m and she is asking property share since we have obtained joint loan and entire down payment is made by father around of Rs.13,00,000 and loan amount is Rs.35,00,000 - for which she have not paid penny of my installment. Now, she is not returning not giving Divorce and Demanding as below:- 1. Rs.15,00,000- Marriage Expenses 2. Maintenance - 10,000/- p.m (she earns 70,000 - IT Comp. ZOHO CORPOTATION) 3. Share in house. Please guide me. No peace
Answers (4)

Answer #1
704 votes
1. You can file restitution of conjugal rights petition before concern court, for restore your matrimonial life. Asking a husband to live separately from elderly parents amounts cruelty to husband.
2. There are ways to get away from such threatenings, by filing above Petition, if she went out matrimonial house without informing you, file a police complaint as well as be informed her parents.
3. She can't get whatever she used threaten you, contact an attorney he'll guide you accordingly.

Answer #2
898 votes
The person has not mentioned whether his religion. The Divorce can be filed at any time. The first time a notice of restitution shall be made to the opposite side. The HMA or other privilege act is applicable
Answer #3
920 votes
You can file a divorce petition in appropriate court. and take remedy. You need not pay any maintenance even if she asks. Since she herself earning amount. and also you need not give share in house. Since the propery belongs to your father.
Answer #4
949 votes

Your marital discord has various aspects that require different approaches legally. No one can help you resolve the issues between you and your wife personally except both of you but doing the right thing will help in getting to the point where it would be conducive for the other partner to see sense. I will list the legal recourse to be adopted by you;

Firstly, You will have to file a complaint with the concerned police about the threat and harassment. This is to safe guard you from any criminal complaint your wife may give in the future. This would also serve as a prof of your situation as the first person to take legal action will have the first movers advantage and the law being women centrist its better you take appropriate action at the earliest.

Secondly, file for a declaration Suit seeking to declare the said property to be your property and to establish that your wife is a benami. So that your claim as the rightful owner can be established.

thirdly, file for Restitution of Conjugal Rights Petition in the family Court seeking for a direction from the court to direct your wife to live with you.

Taking all these steps would help you resolve your marital problem one way or the other. Please get in touch with me for any further clarification in this regard.

Arunkungumaraj Subramanian

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details.

Report abuse?

Comments by Users

No Comments! Be the first one to comment.

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."