Validity of marriage while stay petition is pending

Sir, I filed divorce petition in family court and got decree of contested divorce. Now, my wife filed appeal in high court. Also she filed stay petition in high court which is in pending status. So, please tell me whether can I marry again if stay petition is pending . Thank you.

Answers (2)

if you have received notice and there is a order by the high court granting stay of lower court order, then you cannot marry during the pendency of appeal. so the onus is on your wife who went on appeal to obtain a stay in high court against the order of lower court.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

It is clear indication of harassment . If you received any notice then you have to wait. Else you are not aware and you can take your own decision. It takes some years to post your case in High Court.

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate Saifuddin Saifee
Maharani Road, Indore
18 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Articles

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Legal Services

Legal Notice / Reply to Legal Notice for Divorce

4.6 | 45 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help
60 Min Marriage / Relationship Counselling Session by Phone

No Ratings
60 Min telephonic counselling session with an expert relationship counsellor
15 Minutes Divorce Advice Session by Phone

4.8 | 371 ratings
Ask questions and get advice from a local experienced advocate on divorce and separation
Court Marriage

4.8 | 94 ratings
Work with a local experienced family advocate to guide you through your court marriage.
File for Mutual Divorce

4.8 | 241 ratings
Get hassle-free mutual divorce for both Indian and NRI couples through experienced lawyer in your city
Marriage Registration

4.8 | 170 ratings
Get your marriage registered through an experienced local advocate in the city of your residence
Similar questions

Can a validly created WILL be revoked by operation of Law when the testator (Hindu) divorces his wife - an event that takes place post-execution of th…

Read More

My brother married her gf two years back without the consent of her girl parents. She chose to stay with her family. But it's been two years she h…

Read More

Marriage between US Citizen of indian orgin and indian citizen. As US laws follow a no fault divorce law means you can get a divorse without spouse co…

Read More

A 'christian girl married to hindu boy under hindu marriage act. After the marriage she converted into Hinduism. After the marriage they get two d…

Read More

Talk to a lawyer for your legal issue