Under what circumstances does one need to pay maintenance/alimony?

Hi , In 5 months of marriage my wife lived with me only for 14 days.She is working in Govt. Services and we don't have any child .Now we are going to file mutual consent divorce in future as she doesn't want to live together. There were no demands (cash,household stuff ,car etc) at the time of marriage.Now I'm worried do i need to pay them anything coz it seems a trend these days to marry a file divorce to get money

Answers (2)

274 votes

If you are filing for mutual divorce then divorce is granted as per settlement on basis of which both parties agree to mutual divorce. Court does Grant alimony in mutual divorce cases. So whatever settlement you arrive at with your wife is what the court will also finalise and Grant divorce.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

289 votes


Since you've decided to enter into a Mutual Consent Divorce, please note that you are not legally bound to pay anything since you have also mentioned that she is not claiming any demands (cash, household). It is extremely important that your 'Mutual Divorce Agreement' highlights the fact that she is not claiming anything at present and will not claim anything in the future either.

There are also some important clauses which should be inserted to prevent any future action against you . Do get in touch if you need any further assistance.

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
21 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
21 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

"LawRato.com has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles