Summon received but not petition copy

In Divorce Law
Hi all, i married in oct 2019. I faced domestic violence so lodged police complaint then filed divorce in 5 months. My husband yet to reply to my petition. But he is irregular in court hearings. But he filed petition under section 9 in other jurisdictions. Now my question is 1) is it valid to open other petition 2)i received summon as "judicial separation" without petition copy, but petition filed under section 9(conjugal rights).

Answers (2)

234 votes

Normally summon will be accompanied by the copy of the petition. But sometimes by mistake or at times intentionally such things happen. Only after checking the petition copy it will be clear whether judicial separation or restitution of conjugal rights. You can mention this during next hearing.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

265 votes

you should claim the petition copy in the court. if petition copy is not received with the summons then through an advocate you can apporach the court section to receive the copy. and you can also get the petition copy on the first hearing date from the court.

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
35 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
22 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
28 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
22 years Experience

Report abuse?

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles