settlement out of court, my rights, what can I claim from in laws and

I moved out from my in laws house in May 2018, i got married hahahahha n 2016 October, wedding all expenses were carried by my father which was around 70 lacs approx , and also stridhan is in custody of my in-laws. Kindly help me understand my rights. I have filed cases in Kolkata as i moved to kolkata and was working with my uncle during the time i filed the case but recently have moved abroad for my higher studies and also my husband stays abroad. Both being indian citizen we cannot file case abroad. Please help.

Answers (2)

96 votes

Stridhan is your property and are entitled to get it back from your husband. Stridhan includes jewellery gifts etc which you received during and after the marriage from your parents or from your in-laws and husband or guest. You did not mention what type of cases you filed in Kolkata. are you referring to domestic violence case and 498A case? if divorce petition has not been filed then both you and your husband can file a mutual consent divorce petition before the court. At the time of filing and moving the first motion your and husband's presence is not required however after 6 months at the time moving the second motion both you and husband's physical presence in the court is mandatory. if either party to the marriage fail to appear on the second motion then decree of mutual consent divorce won't be issued. Contact me for further assistance.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

123 votes

If you have file cases then the said matter should be adjudicated here because the cause of action arose here in India. It's not clear to me what are the cases you have filed in Kolkata after you moved here from your in-laws house. You can get back your stridhan property by filing a criminal case.

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles