Separated for more than a year how can I claim divorce

physical n mntal torcher made me n my child leave him. v stayng seperate since 1 yr 3 mnths not provinding financial help at al. i hade opened all lic policies on his name n i only paid every premimum want them to b transfred on my name n need him to sign divorce wch he s not doing.he meets my son on weekends bt he dse nt want to take ny responsiblity. my all jwelry with him i m not earning much bt if cud get lil help wud help me to serve my kid bettr. they r disrespecting me in society n nt even ready to sign divorce need a lil guide for lic n for divorce n educational help

Answers (3)

86 votes

You can file a case for Domestic violence under DV Act in which you can ask for maintenance / alimony and a petition for Divorce on ground of mental and physical cruelty. Depending on facts you can also lodge a complaint with the police u/s 498a Indian Penal Code. You can get your jewellery, maintenance and other articles, things etc. If possible you can contact personally for consultancy (chgs Rs 300/- per hour)

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

120 votes

You can claim divorce on the grounds of cruelty, L.I.C policy can be transferred once you contact lic agent. you can claim maintenance on the grounds of domestic violence or under section 125 of cr. p.c of maintenance.

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Gouri Shankar Hemekari
Dilsukhnagar, Hyderabad
23 years Experience
Advocate Ricky Chopra
Sector - 49, Gurgaon
18 years Experience
Advocate Ricky Chopra
Karkardooma Court, Delhi
18 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience
276 votes

FOr getting your maintenance as well as other expenses of your kids, you will have to file Complaint under Domestic Violence law and claim injunction as well as maintenance and other expenses.

Also for the cruelty - mental and financial and physical - and also your Stridhan in his possession - you can also lodge FIR in police station against him.

Once you adopt both the above legal remedies then your husband will be in difficult position legally and he will settle all the pending issues and disputes including signing for divorce.

Hope this helps !

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles

Related Articles