Procedure to claim share in husband's property after maintenance case.

Hi. I have filed a case for maintenance against my husband of 33 yrs. i am currently residing in our house that is under his name whereas he walked out 6 years ago. I wanted to know if i have any right over the house should he decide to sell it off or if i can prevent him from selling the house. I am a sikh

Answers (3)

201 votes

You can approach the court under domestic violence act and can take interim orders against the transfer of the said share hold house and on the basis of your complaint the hobble court can pass an order against your husband to not to sell alienate the said house etc,

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

331 votes

Sikhs are also governed by Hindu law. As per Hindu Marriage Act u as well as dependant children are entitled for maintenance depending upon ur earning capacity and income. As regard right to matrimonial house, u can seek protection orders and also stay on sale

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
21 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
27 years Experience
103 votes

You can file a Complaint under Domestic Violence act in which u can also apply for stay against selling of his property. Alternatively u can also file civil suit for permanent injunction i.e just applying for stay against selling. For details u have to meet me.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles