Procedure in case wife filed for divorce after 4 months separation.

Wife filed divorce after 4 months of seperation. In court.. Currently counseling is going on in caw cell. What will be the next steps if husband does not want divorce?

Answers (3)

319 votes

Divorce can not be filed unless a one year of marriage is expired. Even if it is filed after one year then there should be reason to divorce between the party, as prescribed by the hindu marriage act. If you do not want to divorce your wife file written statement stating the same along with affidavit. Further file restitution of conjugal rights under hindu marriage act.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

315 votes

Husband shall have to contest the case of the wife on merits. No other way out. Try avoiding registration of FIR at the caw cell. That can be a difficult situation to handle. Same for any other matrimonial proceedings filed by the wife.

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
313 votes

you could convey this during the counselling process to the other party and seek to end the dispute between the parties at this nascent stage itself, or else file a separate application for restitution of your conjugal rights under hindu marriage act

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles