Maintenance in case of live in relationship between intervals

I contacted a PIO living in USA through and we agreed in writing that we will get married and will live in both USA and india. He invited me and sent air ticket and I went and stayed with him for 8 months, returned back and after 6 months gone again and stayed for one year. On my return he continued sending me enough money for some time but when I refused to go again he stopped sending money. My reason for not going to live with him is that he wants to keep me as a keep and not as a wife. He has been postponing marriage all these years. He has broken the agreement of marriage which we both signed and which i used for getting my visa for USA. I am a Hindu. Can I report against him in police? Will the police or court help me in getting maintenance from him,

Answers (3)

249 votes

It appears that you were in a live in relationship wherein the relationship was also backed up by a contract.
you can report against him to the police and also file cheating charges against him through police/court

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

204 votes

There is no specific time period/duration of stay mentioned any where for live in relationship. However the concept of livein relationship is new in India and the cases are increasing day by day. There are SC/HC judgments for maintenance in Livein relationships. Since you have a written agreement for marriage is a document which will prove his mischief. First you file cheating case and then file for maintenance.

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
21 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
21 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
116 votes

Yes, definitely you can file a cheating against that guy who cheated in the name of marriage and used for his satisfaction. You can also file the case against their parents if they are really involved in the issue.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles