Lawyer engaged in divorce case be appointed by one party in contested

I have my court case going in for a contested amount for mutally consented divorce. My wife's lawyer has made an appication to the court , that my lawyer cannot represent me.. as my lawyer is the same one who has earler been engaged by both of us ( my wife & myself ) for mutaal concent divore... will I have to change the lawyer ? 10:40

Answers (3)

296 votes

If the lawyer represent both of you in mutual consent divorce matter then not required other lawyer. If one party withdraw the consent then the case goes to contesting. At that time both you change your lawyer not a one party. As it’s against the advocate act.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

306 votes

Yes you will have to change your lawyer as your wife, in confidence, may have revealed certain things to him while he was representing the both of you in the Mutual Consent Divorce Petition. It is unethical practice for the lawyer to continue to represent you in the present contested matter.

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
277 votes

Since the divorce is by mutual consent, you can represent through the earlier advocate , but it is always good to represent through atleast a junior advocate, for legal issues if arises during the motion.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles