Husband suddenly asks for divorce after 15 years of marriage

Hi, I am a Christian woman married for the past 15 years to my Christian husband. We have a daughter together aged 14 years. My age is 42. My husband suddenly without any reasoning wants a divorce only stating that I am no longer the woman for him. I have been a housewife all these years. What are my rights in this case. Also, there has been no problems between us for the past 15 years, no adultery, no desertion etc.

Answers (5)

214 votes

Dear mam, Hi! First of all don't worry! Your husband will at first have to prove on what grounds he would like to divorce you. Another it's not so easy for him to prove seeking divorce on any abusive grounds,as law is very strong on woman's side. Under sec.39of the Christian marriage act 1869 you can demand maintenance both under civil as well as criminal are also liable for alimony during the duration of the divorce case in the court. You can also claim for the custody of your daughter for which your husband will give the maintenance. So dont worry, your side is very strong and giving you divorce is not an easy nut to crack for your husband.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

58 votes

You have right to residence ,maintenance ,custody of your child and to refuse to agree for a mutual consent divorce. By no means leave your matrimonial home to stay anywhere else and any harassment to force you to agree to Mutual Consent Divorce ,file complain at the nearest police station. He has the option of filing one sided divorce which you can oppose in Court and if he has no grounds then finally end of the matter he won't be granted the divorce. Contact me for any further queries,at

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
292 votes

Hello madam

You can seek restitution through the family court if you want to retain your marital life.

During the pendency you can claim maintenance for you and your children.

Kindly contact with proper facts about your case

160 votes

The answer to this query depends on the remedy you like to opt.
You may claim maintenance
You may choose to restitue.
You may choose to seek separation.
For your husband to get divorced would not be that easy

68 votes

Don't worry marriage is not an article brought from a market and now no needed to be thrown at present your age is 42 may be possible your manopause period may be started in such situations ladies also become very sensitive after 1-2 year everything will be normal instead of advocate medical advisor definitely guide both of you. don't afraid take care of your daughter now she needs support and courage from both of you,best luck

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles