How to file for divorce on grounds of torture

I got married in nov 2015 and from oct 2016 i have been living separstely. I want to file a divorce. My husband continuously abused me verbally mad had physically abused me 2 times. He does not help me out financially but instead makes me spend. He raised false acquisition of me cheating and lying to him. Also he has been continuously threatening me and my family. He abused my entire family. How can verbal and physical abuse be proved?

Answers (4)

You can file a petition for divorce on the ground of mental and physical cruelty. The verbal and physical abuse need not be proved but you will have to narrate the facts and circumstances that actually happened. The Court will believe you. You can also file a petition under Domestic Violence Act and stop him from threatening you and your family. If necessary you can also file a petition for cruelty and harassment in a criminal court. You can also ask for maintenance and financial support. As a Lady you have all the Laws to support you and the Police as well as the Court will support you if you are genuine. More advice can be given after a personal discussion.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

When family dispute is contested it is difficult to prove the allegation. But the court could take notice of parties' conduct and their attitude. If you have solid allegation you could file a petition for divorce on cruelty ground. If you have mails exchanged and chat history regarding your allegation you could easily prove your case. For detailed reply details are necessary to answer.

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience
Advocate Jai Shiv Darshan Giri
Santoshi Nagar, Ring Road Chowk, Raipur
14 years Experience

You can very well file divorce under cruelty. All incidents can can be shown in the petition and you have every right to get divorce. You can very well contact me for further guidance.. You have not given your area details. K.Venkatesan , Advocate


You have law provisions in Hindu marriage act if to our are Hindu. Otherwise you can file divorce on Indian divorce act on the ground of cruelty. Cruelty covers mental and physical torture. ..

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Articles

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Legal Services

Legal Notice / Reply to Legal Notice for Divorce

4.6 | 45 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help
60 Min Marriage / Relationship Counselling Session by Phone

No Ratings
60 Min telephonic counselling session with an expert relationship counsellor
15 Minutes Divorce Advice Session by Phone

4.8 | 371 ratings
Ask questions and get advice from a local experienced advocate on divorce and separation
Court Marriage

4.8 | 94 ratings
Work with a local experienced family advocate to guide you through your court marriage.
File for Mutual Divorce

4.8 | 241 ratings
Get hassle-free mutual divorce for both Indian and NRI couples through experienced lawyer in your city
Marriage Registration

4.8 | 170 ratings
Get your marriage registered through an experienced local advocate in the city of your residence
Similar questions

Me and my wife are fed up of the relationship & I really want to quit it out. I have a 2 year old son from this relationship. There has been a lot…

Read More

My marriage is only of 6months old can I take divorce?what grounds it needs to have for divorcing?…

Read More

Mere shadi ko 1 sal ho gaya hai aur mein our meri wife pichale 4 mahine se alag reh rahe hai , usaka shadi ke pahile our shadi ke bad affair tha meine…

Read More

My friend has been married for 7 months now. They’ve been married legally but they are not living together. Please tell us the procedure to file…

Read More

Talk to a lawyer for your legal issue