How to claim dowry money back transferred in bank account

24-May-2024 (In Divorce Law)
During marriage my family transferred close to 30 lacs as marriage expenses in my husband's and his father's account. My marriage happened 9 years back How can I claim this money back, as of now I have filed domestic violence and sec 125?
Answers (5)

Answer #1
836 votes
you have filed domestic violence and section 125 case and what stage is it in that case. the expenses that accrued In your wedding do you have anything for it. what do you want in near future you have not stated that except your marriage expenses
Helpful? LawRato LawRato
Answer #2
532 votes
first of all do you have bank account statement that reflects amount transfer and secondly a wife is always entitled to claim back her striidhan. So you have to prove that it's your streedhan amount gifted by your father to your in laws .
Helpful? LawRato LawRato
Answer #3
768 votes
First of all rather than going legally you should serve him a legal notice and in that notice you can write that either pay my money or face legal action which will be at your own risk. After that if he fails to give you a satisfactory reply then you can anytime file a recovery suit in the court to claim your money back along with compensations.
Helpful? LawRato LawRato
Answer #4
969 votes
in both the cases, if another party will be willing then request for mediation with the judge and in mediation may it be possible that the other side will be ready to return you some money in the form of settlement. Otherwise in both the cases, you will be only entitled for monthly maintenence.
Helpful? LawRato LawRato
Answer #5
928 votes
you can register a case under the Prevention of Dowry Act

or under the appropriate section of the Indian penal code.

and force them to get your money back.

any further assistance is available. please call any time. for any legal issues.
Helpful? LawRato LawRato

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details.

Report abuse?

Comments by Users

No Comments! Be the first one to comment.

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."