Dowry demand from husband and inlaws and now asking for divorce

I got married last year. I am working in a company. My husband and my mother in law use to torture me for money. They use to ask me money for staying in the house. I agreed to give some amount but they were forcing to give full salary. During marriage they took dowry and kept on demanding after marriage also. They use to keep a eye on me. Didn't allow me to talk with anyone or go out. I just stayed there for 6 months. Due to domestic violence I was depressed. My family members tried to convince them but no use. My mother in law removed me from there. Now my staying with my parents. My husband has filed a case for divorce. Kindly suggest me.

Answers (3)

236 votes

When the Divorce petition is filed against you, then I am presuming that you must have been served with the Court Summons and the Petition copy.

Now, it depends on you as to whether you want to continue the marriage or you want to separate and take divorce.

It will also be very important for you to decide on the issue of the money - as you have already paid huge money in dowry and also after the marriage - so how much to recover and the legal steps to be taken to recover the dowry and money paid by you.

All these questions will clarify as to what legal steps are to be taken and what plan is to be executed to achieve your desired results.

Hope this helps !

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

259 votes

You can file a FIR against them under section 498 A and u can also file a case under protection of women from domestic violence act , 2005 for maintenance order, residence order, monetary reliefs , compensation

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate H Gouri Shankar
Dilsukhnagar, Hyderabad
24 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
227 votes

As a married woman, you should have sent legal notice to your husband for restitution of conjugal rights when they forced you to go back to your parents place. Now since your husband has filed the divorce case, it would be suggested that you find local Lawyer and explain your case in detail so that you can be provided with appropriate solution.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles