Domestic violence by father what can be done

We are a delhi based family. My mother suffers domestic violence from a long that i can remember now. Beating and mental torture are common things. We have even called police at times when it gets worse but still it hasn't worked out. We get typical answers from the policemen like "yeh aap logo ka matter hai khud solve karo" or that the police cant do anything in this. Surely for the first time people will just say to solve the issue in between the partners but this isn't possible. They need to understand that its happening from more than 10 years and "talking it out" is not a solution. Calling police is like the only thing my mother can do as she doesnt have the right information as what is to be done. There are many more things that are left out but i want those to be talked with in person rather than in public. I really look forward in getting advice here and a solution even if it is legally. Thanks

Answers (5)

286 votes

You can file petition under Domestic violence act before court . The petition will contain all the issues and violence faced by your mother and you. Court will appoint protection officer and situation of your mother will become better. Take care

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

136 votes

Preliminary opinion: If your father's actions are so uncivilized then you must take necessary recourse aabit is a torture on daily basis. You mother can file for divorce and until then can live separately with maintenance for your father and afterwards alao. For a quick relief you can file a complaint with women cell of domeatic violence.

For detailed course of action need:
1. Your father's occupation and his behavior in general.
2. Mother's personal details.
3. Your age.
4. When did police intervene and its time gap, atleast.

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
65 votes

Like you said there are lots of things left out. It seems you just want the problem to get solved by not taking any legal recourse. But there is remedy under te law but that could mean upsetting the relationship.

105 votes

File a police complaint against your father regarding that torture and beatings.

Also file a domestic violence complaint in the concerned court regarding is also prefereed if you and your mother also file a maintainence case against your father.

153 votes

Yes there are so many ways to deal with the present situations. You can file a domestic violance case before the court of law to obtain decree against your father for the cruelities committed by him. You

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles