Divorce be granted within 4 months of marriage under SMA

Can I get divorced after 4 months of marriage? It was a intercaste marriage under special marriage act, both of we are Hindu but different caste and we have not been living together. There was no witness from my side. Now we both want to file divorce, can we?

Answers (3)

275 votes

Yes . You can. If you both are agree then there is provision in Special Marriage Act to get separation. Contact a good lawyer, apprise him about all the facts and circumstances and act accordingly under his advice

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

182 votes

Dear Client,
No divorce petition can be filed within one year of marriage. After completition of one year, you can file a divorce petirion. If both of you agreed for divorce, file a mutual consent divorce.

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
154 votes

As per your query I want to let you know that as per the Hindu marriage Act, one can only file the divorce petition on the completion of one year of his or her marriage, but in between you must file some other petition before the hon'ble court too.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

"LawRato.com has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles