Clarification on separation of husband and wife for mutual divorce

Is one year separation is compulsory for mutual divorce, or what if huband wife r in relationship.

Answers (4)

304 votes

Yes it is required that husband and wife are living separately for one year for filing divorce by mutual consent. Under Section 13-B of the Hindu Marriage Act, 1955, the parties can seek divorce by mutual consent.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

174 votes

As per provisions of Hindu Marriage Act ,before filing for a joint petition for divorce by way of mutual consent the parties must be living sepertely for one year .It is not necessary that parties are living at separate places.The parties can live at seperate places or under one roof ,but for last one year ,before filing the petition, there should not be any marital relationship between them.In the petition they are also required to state that they cannot live together anymore.

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate Saifuddin Saifee
Maharani Road, Indore
18 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience
237 votes

no one year separation is not compulsory for mutual divorce and it can be taken at any time when mutually agreed and nothing would happen when husband and wife are in relationship. The provision of divorce by mutual consent is totally different from other form of divorce.

207 votes

Yes. As per law 1 year of separation is necessary for divorce under mutual consent. However there are instances where such a requirement can be dealt with.
Feel free to contact in case of further query or legal representation in Court.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Articles

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Similar questions

We ha settled divorce at mutual conset for a lumpsum fix alimony..and i paid t money in court..but t wife want to return money and contest t divorce.…

Read More

Hi, I 'm separated from my husband & we are undergoing a mutual divorce. Tomorrow we have our first petition & I came to know that the statements …

Read More

Hi, I filed Mutual Consent Divorce on 1-Aug-2017, Judge has given us 6-8months of time for final Verdict. I just wanted to check in this 6-8months of …

Read More

I want to know how quickly can I get divorce through mutual consent. My wife and me have decided to part ways. It is been over a year since we have li…

Read More