Clarification on claim for maintenance by wife after becoming major

A mother getting maintenance for minor daughter under DV act. Will the daughter continue getting maintenance when she gets major ? Will the daughter have to apply for maintenance after attaining the age of major ?

Answers (2)

123 votes

generally, an unmarried daughter gets the maintenance. till the date of marriage of the daughter is solemnized the maintenance must continue. if the maintenance stops after the daughter's majority then you must move to a court case for the same.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

278 votes

Domestic Violence Act is silent about the age of maintenance of the unmarried daughter for being entitled to get maintenance. Naturally, before her marriage if she is dependent upon the sum paid by father, she is entitled to get maintenance even after attaining majority. She won't have to apply afresh after being major if the order of maintenance has been passed and is in force since before she attains majority. The father, if thinks that she is not anymore dependent upon him, he will have to prove such before the Court concerned. All the best. Regards.

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate Saifuddin Saifee
Maharani Road, Indore
18 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Articles

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Similar questions

We r married since 12 years. My husband is violent by nature and I am case of domestic violence. I have 2 kids.11yrs daughter and 4 year son.I can'…

Read More

I m married since 12yr. We have no child. I m in-law want agreement from me.I have been holding this for last 12yr.alway try feel me guilty for every …

Read More

My husband has not been sent summons from the court in a maintenance case filed by me even after 12 days have passed since the petition was filed. My …

Read More

My brother's wife is having extramarital affair. They are Hindu, married for almost 4 years and have a son of almost 3 years. We got a recording w…

Read More