Can my friend do second marriage without giving divorce

Hello, my friend got married 3 year back in court. But his marriage is not opened socially due to intercaste marriage. Now wife again married to somether person without giving legal separation to my friend on 31 Oct ,2017. My friend want divorse but she refuse to give and changed her all contacts so that he may not chase her. he want mutual separation but she did not want any thing. If my friend also do marriage like her then his marriage is valid or not? Let me know the possible ways...

Answers (3)

122 votes

That second marriage of the wife is not maintainable. A case of bigamy can be registered against her. on the other side if your friend wants to marry he should file a case for divorce and by any means find her and serve the summons on her and then take an ex-parte divorce. Then he can marry again legally. Your friend can live with a woman though in a marriage like situation, then also it will not be an offence.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

105 votes

Second marriage without divorce is criminal offence and there is no existence of such marriage in the eye of law. Ask your friend to file a complaint against the person who has performed marriage with your friend wife.

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
188 votes

Let this man file for divorce on the ground of cruelty, desertion for more than 2 years in the Family Court.
Address of the wife that is available with him that need not be her present address.
The court summon will be sent to her and as presumed she will not come for defending the divorce case.
The court after the summoning processes available, will proceed ex-parte against her and decide the divorce case in favor of the husband.
Without getting decree of divorce, the person if marry again he can be in trouble. His first marriage is valid and without getting out of this remarriage cannot be valid.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles