Can marriage registry be cancelled after submitting the application

I and my fiancee had given a notice for marriage registration under special act. Due to some reasons we broke up and dont intend to get married. I have submitted an application to the marriage registrar. What are the proceedings now and how will it get cancelled. I am a muslim and my ex was hindu.

Answers (4)

304 votes

Contact the marriage registrar and get the application for marriage cancelled. If both of you give consent as to the cancellation, it would be a fit case and the same shall be cancelled after an enquiry is being conducted.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

91 votes

As both of you are not further agreed to complete the said proposed registration and accordingly have applied for withdrawal of the same so you have no other legal obligations and your said application Notice has been cancelled automatically.

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate H Gouri Shankar
Dilsukhnagar, Hyderabad
23 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience
198 votes

If only notice is given and no registration is done it's not a problem. But if the registration is done it can't be cancelled anyway than a divorce. For a divorce both of you shall have to file a case by filing a written plaint for mutual divorce before the Court of Learned District Judge concerned and you shall have the subsequent date for final hearing after six months thereafter. On that final date both of you shall have to file your affidavit in chief (which is basically the reiteration of the plaint itself), and you shall have to confirm your stand for want of dissolution of marriage on dock and then you get the decree for dissolution of marriage. All the best regards.

58 votes

The provision under special marriage act is very simple. After applying with one month notice both parties have to marry within three months, if such is not done, the application goes null and void. So nothing needs to be done.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles