Can I marry without divorce if my first marriage held in my minor age.

I had compelled to marry in my minor age and now I am adult and not happy in this marriage wanna second marriage.then is it necessary to take divorce.

Answers (3)

224 votes

in Hindu Law after attaining age of 18 years either party who at the time of marriage is minor can exercise option to declare first marriage as null and void by filling a proper petition in the court of law. divorce in this case not applicable.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

289 votes

If you have continued your marriage after attaining the age of marriage then it is a valid marriage. Thus divorce would be required. However there is a provision of annulment in which you can get your marriage declared as illegal and void. Without opting either, you cannot remarry. For further query please feel free to contact.


Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
21 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
21 years Experience
211 votes

your first marriage is invalid. you are advised to first take a decree of annulment of the first marriage and then marry, so as to avoid legal complications at a later stage. this will save you time, effort and resources.

Report abuse?

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles