Can I file for divorce if my husband doesn't live with me

01-May-2023 (In Divorce Law)
I m separated from my husband from last 8.5 years, taking care of my daughter alone without any financial help from him. He calls me occasionally for our daughter. Am I eligible for filing a divorce under hindu act.
Answers (5)

Answer #1
532 votes
Yes of course you can file divorce and you are also entitle for maintenance. Your husband is liable to bear maintenance for both of you(you and your daughter). You and your daughter have a right to sue your husband for divorce and maintenance.
Answer #2
823 votes
Yes You can file the divorce case. And you have a option to file the case wherever you want to file. there is no problem wherever your husband lives this is up to you where you want to file the case. moreover you will get the compensation also from him
Answer #3
629 votes
Yes u can file divorce petition and u r also entitled for share from his property and even also u and ur daughter will get maintenance from your husband. There are lot of provisions in Indian legal system in your favour. All the best.
Answer #4
904 votes
Hello mam....Yes you can file divorce petition against your husband...Beside this you can also claim maintenance from your husband for your daughter. There are other remedies also under hindu marriage act .
Answer #5
924 votes
You are separated from your husband from last 8.5 years, taking care of your daughter alone without any financial help from your husband. He calls you occasionally for your daughter.
Yes Are eligible for filing a divorce under section 13 of HMA.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details.

Report abuse?

Comments by Users

No Comments! Be the first one to comment.

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."