Can I convert my religion to get divorce faster from my husband

I got married on 17th Feb 2016, And i left my husband's place on 4th Feb 2017, we are not compatible and hence we both have agreed for a divorce. But his family lawyer saying that minimum 6 months will take for a mutual divorce. Can i convert to any other religion and based on this ground can I get divorce sooner? Me and my husband are Hindu.

Answers (3)

240 votes


You cant. Because the marriage between both of you was solemnized as per Hindu rituals and therefore Hindu Law will apply. If you go for divorce by way of mutual consent you should wait for 6 month and it is the statute .

No need for religion conversion.

There is other process, from that you can get divorce little early.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

254 votes

Madam in this case you have to file a case for mutual consent divorce and the minimum period for mutual consent divorce is 6 months and further you cannot change your religion and get divorce as the law does not allow you to take divorce just by converting to other religion and taking the advantage, further there is other way out where you can get divorce early so if both of you are ready it is easy to get divorce.

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Pradeep Kumar
Rohini Court, Delhi
14 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
21 years Experience
238 votes

there is no religion which supports faster divorce. 6 months is the statutory period of law and in any religion you would have to wait for at least 6 month.

A mutual divorce will take place in 6 months only where you have to attend the court only twice.

Report abuse?

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles