Can i apply for OBC caste certificate

My parents got divorced 8 years back. I was grown up in my mother's family. My mother belongs to OBC caste and is unemployed. As i am applying for UPSC exam i need to produce my caste certificate. Does i belong to OBC Community ? Can i apply for OBC caste certificate by producing my mothers caste certificate ? Please help me out. I will be grateful to you all.

Answers (5)

276 votes

Yes, in view of the facts and circumstances of the case as narrated by you, you are eligible for entitlement to OBC Caste Certificate.
In order to put an end to future litigation/dispute with regards to your caste certificate (in case the UPSC Administration/any other authority/board/institution raises any objection), I shall suggest you to do the following.
First, make an application before the concerned Revenue Authority of your jurisdiction stating that you are desirous of applying for a Caste Certificate and by submitting relevant documents including an Affidavit from your mother stating that she has raised you in her community, her caste certificate, her Divorce Decree, her Income Proof etc. and most importantly copy of the relevant SC & HC judgments.
Request the Revenue Authority to conduct a detailed enquiry with regards to the same and place and report basing on which it shall issue you the Caste Certificate.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

324 votes

Caste certificate is given by local Tahasil after verification .U can produce divorce order and might require to give affidavit that yr mother is single parent belonging to obc .Talk to tahasidar there .

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
257 votes

It is not possible to obtain caste certificate from the caste of your mother. You can only adopt the caste from your father's side. That our constitution has not provided any such article to adopt the caste from mother side.

254 votes

You are eligible to apply for OBC Certificate. For this you have to approach the competent auth of the office of Tehsildar of your revenue jurisdiction. Along wth other requisite documents, additionally you have to submit the divorce papers.

188 votes

Caste of a child born to inter-caste couple could depend upon the circumstances in which the child was brought up , So it depends upon your case and circumstances , but generally children carries the caste of father only.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles