Continue to LawRato.com with Google


Can decree given by Lok Adalat be challanged?

My soon-to-be ex-wife has asked humongous amount of alimony to settle all the cases once & for all. I am supposed to produce money by 16 April. Judge has told that if I am not able to get the money by 16th, he is willing to give 17/18/19 as the next date as per need. Time which might be needed to arrange money, create FD for my kid etc. He said once the money is give to her, he will waive off the 6 months & give the decree same day. Now there is going to be Lok Adalat on 22 April. I am just wondering what should I do, Should get the decree on 16th (assuming money is arranged by then) and get this done. Or should I get the decree from Lok Adalat. I have heard that Lok Adalat judgement are not challengeable while the decree given by normal session court judge is challengeable. (Mutual Consent divorce 13B) Point is I am worried that after getting money, my (soon to be ex) wife can re-appeal & create more problems. Does decree given by judge is also NOT challengeable ?

Answers (3)

In mutual divorce, no once can force you to do anything, i.e. pay an ex amount to your wife.

if you want court decree only, the same will be passed only when you have placed relevant documents in order to prove that you have given that ex amount in the name of your wife and kid.

Lok adalat award cannot be challenged as the same are passed after the consent of both the parties.

Decree passed by a court can be challenged subject to the limitation period. every court has its own limitation to challenge a decree.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Firstly Lok Adalat is not a part of the court.It forms part of the Alternate Dispute Resolution Mechanism(ADR) like mediation,conciliation,arbitration,Judicial Intervention being the other forms of ADR mechanism.The Court will refer both the parties to the Lok Adalat to reach an amicable settlement. The terms of the settlement agreement will be crystalized before the Lok Adalat .Once the matter is settled there, the matter would again be sent to the court with the settlement agreement signed by both the parties.The court will record the joint statements of both the parties under section 13-B(1) of the Hindu Marriage Act,1955 (First Motion).
Subsequently after the first motion is allowed under section 13-B(1) of the Hindu Marriage Act,1955, the parties would have to file a joint application under section 151 of the Code of Civil Procesure,1908, for waiver of statutory period of 6 months. The application should fulfill pre-requisites as mentioned in the Hon’ble Supreme Court judgment.
Once the court allows the application for waiver of 6 months period, both the parties can proceed with recording of joint statements under section 13-B(2) of the Hindu Marriage Act,1955.After recording the joint statements(second motion), the court will pronounce a judgment and pass a decree of divorce.
NOTE:- It is the court which has the power to grant a divorce decree and not the Lok Adalat.Such a decree of divorce by mutual consent under section 13-B of the Hindu Marriage Act,1955 is not an appeallable decree being a consent decree.

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
18 years Experience
Advocate Preeti Joshi
District Court, Gurgaon
10 years Experience
Advocate Prabhjit Jauhar
Connaught Place, Delhi
21 years Experience
Advocate Harish Malhotra
District Court, Gurgaon
21 years Experience

Regarding your query, pertaining to the finality of a lok adalat decree. It's given here under.

Chapter-VI of Legal Aervices Authorities Act, deals with Lok adalat. Section 21(2) of said Act makes it crystal clear which read as:
"Every award made by Lok Adalat shall be final and binding on all the parties to the dispute and no appeal shall lie to any court against the award."

This was passed by the Supreme Court in a relevant judgment as well.

However your trouble arises whether your wife will file an appeal. As I can understand, you are paying an amount to your wife which has been accepted by her and agreed upon by her. Once you have appeared before court on 16th, it is necessary that it is recorded that your wife with her own acceptance will not file any appeal relating to alimony at any further stage with her own consent. She will be bound down by her statement before court. So you need not go to lok adalat.

However, if you have extensive clarifications, you can reach out.

"LawRato.com has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Fixed Cost Legal Services

Legal Notice / Reply to Legal Notice for Divorce

4.6 | 45 ratings
Fixed Price Rs. 2499
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help
60 Min Marriage / Relationship Counselling Session by Phone

No Ratings
Fixed Price Rs. 999
60 Min telephonic counselling session with an expert relationship counsellor
15 Minutes Divorce Advice Session by Phone

4.8 | 371 ratings
Fixed Price Rs. 499
Ask questions and get advice from a local experienced advocate on divorce and separation
Court Marriage

4.8 | 94 ratings
Fixed Price Rs. 19999
Work with a local experienced family advocate to guide you through your court marriage.
File for Mutual Divorce

4.8 | 241 ratings
Fixed Price Rs. 25000
Get hassle-free mutual divorce for both Indian and NRI couples through experienced lawyer in your city
Marriage Registration

4.8 | 170 ratings
Fixed Price Rs. 9999
Get your marriage registered through an experienced local advocate in the city of your residence
Similar questions

My wfe left the house aand now her mausa callled and said lets do out of court settlement. Her mom call my mom and asking us to visit their home for o…

Read More

I recently filed my mutual consent divorce petition wherein I have wrongly mentioned my separation date. As this come under Christian Marriage Act, th…

Read More

I and my wife file a mutual consent divorce, we also make 100Rs stamp paper divorce deed. our Lower is same. Our first date declared holiday and next …

Read More

What is the procedure for mutual divorce? I have been married for 5 years. Me and my husband are staying separate for 1 year now.…

Read More

Get free assistance for your legal issue