Alternate way to serve summon since present address is unknown

Sir my husband filed divorce case in Bangalore after kicking me out of house and im in my native in another state. I applied for transfer and now it's under stay. My husband shifted his house so don't have his presents address and we have only office address but in office they returned the summon saying he is out of country. But it's fake. He is in Bangalore only. I'm really don't know how to serve the summon to him because he purposely avoiding it. What is the other possibilities to serve and also what to know if it's not possible to serve as because he avoiding purposly. What will happen.

Answers (3)

58 votes

Hello Madam,
For service of summons of your high court case you could either give a paper publication or get an Order from the High Court to serve the copy of your petition on his advocate who represented him in the family Court for the divorce Case.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

229 votes

As per your query it seems that your husband is willingly avoiding the summons.
The following details are different mode of service of summons.
1. You may send summons to your husband by post. (I think you have already done it)
2. You may send summons to your husband by personally.
3. You may serve summons to your husband through his agents if any.
4. You may send summons to your husband to his business address.
5. You may send summons to your husband to his residential address and serve it on male member of the family.
6.Now a days summons can be serve by email.
7.You may serve summons to your husband by taking paper publication.

On the above methods you can send /serve summons to your husband.

But in my opinion, I hereby advice you that,

a) After following all types of methods, you take paper publication. OR

b) Vacate the stay order, obtained from the court take the steps for service of summons BY HAND. Proceed with the Divorce Petition.. When your husband Appears before the Court serve the summons..

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate Saifuddin Saifee
Maharani Road, Indore
18 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience
254 votes


In the alternative you can ask the court for permitting the plaintiff to effect publication in Newspaper.....

and there is a chance of sending notice through email also. Judge has to agree with it. try it.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Articles

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Similar questions

Hi, I am married on Jan 23rd,2017. From the first on wards she refused to have sex , telling various reasons like fear,tired etc It happened till Feb …

Read More

I got married on 4th May 2017. In July my wife went to her parents house for a month (due to local ritual). She came back after a month and then she l…

Read More

mai kisi or se pyar krta tha isliye mai marrige ni krna chahta tha so mane bta diya tha wife ko sb kush uski family ne mna kr diya but wife ne kha ki …

Read More

i have married a muslim guy in 2007 and registerd under marriage act 1998 in pune. i have 7 year old daughter. my husband married other girl thro nika…

Read More