quesIs it possible for exemption limit extension upto Rs. 5 crore revenue?

Is there a way to get an exemption on Central Excise if we have crossed the Rs 4 Crore revenue limit by Rs. 10 Lacs? We used to get an exemption of Rs. 1.5 Crore and of late, when our revenue crossed the Rs. 4 Crore limit by Rs. 10 Lacs, we got a notice from the Central Excise department that we are not eligible for the exemption and need to deposit the duty accordingly.


Is there a way out of this and are there any rulings for exemption limit extension unto Rs. 5 Crore revenue?


  • ans


    No, there is no ruling for availing an exemption if the turnover is more than Rs. 4 Crore. The solution is to pay the pending amount of duty along with interest as soon as possible. The department would hold you liable for the interest in this case. There is no need to wait for the demand notice to arrive because if the demand notice is issued then you would end up paying the duty along with interest and also penalty would be imposed.


    Notification 08/2003 dated 1.03.2003 is the only available exemption notification which allows the exemption of Rs. 1.5 Crore if the turnover is below Rs. 4 Crore mark.


    For future you can operate from the same facility but get the work done under 2 different names. In this manner you can easily manage the turnover and avail the benefit of the notification by splitting the turn over under two names.


    Kindly contact us for any further details and action.


  • Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Customs & Central Excise Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
Consult best Customs & Central Excise lawyers in India

Similar questions

1. Are Blank guns legal in India? 2. Do I need any license to possess…

i am buying a puppy from slovakia and apparently for importing him i need a…

I have a received my parcel from London. It has been stopped by customs. The…

Dear Sir/Mam, We are Steel Cutting unit and we sale goods under two type 1)…

Customs & Central Excise Lawyers in India

Advocate D S Chadha

 Experience: 5 years

Advocate Jai Dehadrai

  Hauz Khas
 Experience: 6 years

Advocate Harsimran Kaur

  Safdarjang Enclave
 Experience: 12 years

Advocate Charu Mathur

  Supreme Court of India
 Experience: 17 years

View all >>

Quick Consult

Get 15 Minutes of Expert Legal Advice on Phone right now

Ask a Free Question

Post a Question online and get free advice from multiple lawyers by email

Find a Lawyer

Easily find and book private consults with top lawyers in India

Get Fee Estimate

Receive multiple quotations for your legal requirement instantly