×

quesTraffic challan reciept by force

i had been stopped on checkpoint where traffic police asked me for vehicle documents , i had provided them all and was asked for bribe for returning them as i argued they took my license and issued chalan for red light jump without my signature on signature of voilater coloumn on the chalan receipt. i want to ask can they blindly issue receipt like this ? what could be done to prevent this?

• ansI'm afraid they can. If you say bribe was demanded then you should have a proof of it. Mere allegation doesnt suffice. From next time if any such thing happens call 100 and tell them that police man is asking for dowry but again it has to be proved.

Advocate Pankaj Mahavir

New Sunny Enclave, Mohali

• ansYou could cite the incident to Traffic head office with complete details of the incident and name of the officer involved. On receiving of inquiry, the proceedings will be taken up against the officer.
    Don't forget your role will also be determined in this and if you are at fault, you may have to go to jail for stopping a public servant on duty. So be sure, whether you were right in doing this to a public servant.

Advocate Satish Mishra

Punjab and Haryana High Court, Chandigarh

• ansYou can file complaint of misdeeds committed by that erring cops before their Higher Authority or any other complaint redressal forum of your District or Commissioner of Police. If you have not yet pay the fine amount then you can contest the same in appropriate forum i.e. Court or DTO.

Advocate Ajitpal Singh Mander

District Court, Bhatinda