Police not taking FIR, what legal action I can take?

Senior inspector refuse to take my fir against theft. What can I do the legal process against police so that they can file my fir.

Answers (2)

149 votes

please approach the higher police officers - ACP OR DCP OR CP OF YOUR CITY - for the registration of FIR.

If the higher police officers also refuse to register the FIR then you will either have to file complaint in the local criminal court or approach the High Court by filing Writ Petition for the registration of FIR.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

204 votes

In that case make detailed application to the Superior Authority such as Commissioner of Police or Superintendent of Police, as the case may be, delineating the events and approach of Senior Inspector when you visited the Police Station. As per Supreme Court's directives once complaint regarding commission of cognizable offence is received the Police are duty bound to register the FIR.
You can also file application under Section 156 of Criminal Procedure Code, 1973 before the Magistrate for directions to Police to register the FIR and Investigate an offence alleged. If you know the whereabout of accused you can also file a private complaint case in the Court of Magistrate under Section 200 of Cr.P.C.

Popular Criminal Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai
Greater Kailash 1, Delhi
17 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Criminal Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

"LawRato.com has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles