Husband does not take any responsibility & physical & mental abuse

I m a married woman. It has been 11 years since marriage but my husband never took his duties seriously. He didn't make any effort to start our family. He did make sure that I don't conceive a baby..Also some years ago, he also physically & mentally abused me. What can I do against him. I want to punish him without giving him divorce. We belong to Punjabi Hindu family.

Answers (5)

209 votes

You are mentioning duties of your husband 1. Is he providing bread & butter to family ? 2. Why is he not ready to start a family ? It's important to know this. 3. He is physically & mentally abusing you, amounts to ground for divorce, which you are not interested.
With all those emotions it will be very hard for you to punish your husband. Legal remedy seeks no ground for emotions. If once the legal proceeding starts, chances of break down between you two are more on cards.
Try to get answer of your problem from your husband only. You said you want to punish your husband but without any legal action , undersuch circumstances you are the best judge as you know what are the plus and minus of your husband.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

194 votes

Their are many laws which compels a Husband to perform his duties towards wife. Punishment as such is provided for if there is element of physical / mental torture.In your case there is element of physical torture and hence criminal case can be filed against him.

Popular Criminal Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
21 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
27 years Experience
306 votes

I appreciate your decision that you don't want to give him the divorce. This is the best decision so firstly you can file domestic violence case against your husband. There is no need to give him a divorce and in the D.V.Act petition, you can mention all the cruelties which were done by your husband against you.

341 votes

You have right to file criminal case against husband and his family members if they are also involved under the provisions of PROTECTION OF WOMEN FROM DOMESTIC VIOLENCE ACT 2005. You can also contact CRIME AGAINST WOMEN CELL but I will advise you to contact good lawyer before initiate any step.

324 votes

You can file cases under section domestic violence act for mental and physical harassment and for maintenance claim ,case under section 125 criminal procedure code and many more cases against your husband

Report abuse?

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Criminal Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles