Girl's family concealed mental illness of daughter before marriage

I m a government employee got married 3 years back after that we came to know she is mentally disturbed(she stayed 3 days at my home till now). Some one told me that she has symptoms like so called schizophrenia. Before marriage they never told us about this. Now they are trying that we took her to our home and accept as she has but our family doesn’t so what to do know can they file a case against us

Answers (2)

309 votes

In this case you can file a case for divorce on the ground that your wife is suffering from said mental disorder hence get all the medical records and file a case for divorce on the ground of mental disorder.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

280 votes

you can file for Divorce on the grounds of cruelty since fraud has been committed and a mentally ill person was forced to get married to you.
Before that make sure you are able to get the detailed summary of her treatment from whom she is being treated, since only then you can prove that this mental illness was prevalent prior to marriage and that the same had been suppressed during marriage.
You can also file a referred case before a criminal court under section 420 IPC (provided you have sufficient material and medical records pertaining to your wife's mental condition, as mentioned above.

Popular Criminal Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai
Greater Kailash 1, Delhi
17 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Criminal Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles