Friend took mobile phone without consent,refusing to return what to do

I stayed in Vidyavardhaka Boys hostel, this happened 6-7 months back. A guy who was my branch mate i,e Mechanical stayed in the same hostel . He took my mobile when I was not in the hostel and later when I asked him he agreed he has my phone , when I asked to return he started giving dumb reasons such as he has given to his friend for repair, the mobile was slightly bent but I never asked him to get it repaired, I asked not to repair and get it back, I was happy with it ,it was running fine. he said after few days that his friend tried to remove the bend and phone's motherboard damaged and when I asked to replace it he is refusing and avoiding me. How can he take my phone without permission? Why will he repair my phone? One more info, He asked me to sell the phone( Xperia Z1 Current MRP 13000) for hilarious 1000rs because the phone was bent , I refused . These incidences clearly made me believe he deliberately stole my mobile and what he was telling was cooked up

Answers (2)

66 votes

You can file cheating case against your friend U/s 420 of IPC. Under this section the punishment shall be upto 7 years and shall also be liable to fine. As per the above section the Cheating means whoever cheats and thereby dishonestly induces the person deceived to deliver any property to any person, or to make, alter or destroy the whole or any part of a valuable security, or anything which is signed or sealed and which is capable of being converted into valuable Security.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

130 votes

A B C is the code word for every one. It means all ways be careful. When we possess valuable we must also know that as to how to keep it. unless we know the value of valuable, we pave way to get dupe.
Whom you think as your friend, is not your friend. Be always careful.

Popular Criminal Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai
Greater Kailash 1, Delhi
17 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Criminal Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles