Does false statement by a public servant constitute an offence

05-Jun-2023 (In Criminal Law)
Does false statement,written or oral, by a public servant constitute an offence? If so then under what provision of Civil/ Civil Law or Civil Service Conduct Rules?
Answers (4)

Answer #1
868 votes
Whoever, being legally bound by an oath or affirmation to state the truth on any subject to any public servant or other person authorized by law to administer such oath or affirmation, makes, to such public servant or other person as aforesaid, touching the subject, any statement which is false, and which he either knows or believes to be false or does not believe to be true, shall be punished with imprisonment of either description for a term which may extend to three years, and shall also be liable to fine.

Answer #2
591 votes
MY OPINION THAT according to your version ,any public servant constitute an offense by oral or written, the offenses are under the provisions of multiple laws / civil conduct rules, it is /are very much important that under which provisions really can attacted.
Answer #3
641 votes
False statement given by the public servent is obviously constituting an offence. So that he can be charged by the Court of law. If you can prove it that the public servent has made an false statement. You may submit documentary evidence to the Court to prove it false. It is an offence in the eye of law and charged U/S 199 of the Indian Penal Code, 1860 and also it is against the rules of public law.
Thank you.
Answer #4
912 votes
Under Section 167 of Indian Penal Code states that, Public Servant framing an incorrect document with intent to cause injury to any person ---- imprisonment for 3 years, or fine, or both-- it is a bailable offence -- triable before the Magistrate of the First Class.
Section 218 of IPC states that, Public Servant framing an incorrect record or writing with intent to save person from punishment, or property from forfeiture... imprisonment for 3 years, or fine or both --- Bailable offence.
Etc. please contact with an Advocate, who can give you advise after hearing the story from your mouth directly.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details.

Report abuse?

Comments by Users

No Comments! Be the first one to comment.

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."