Can case for adultery be filed on husband after getting divorce

I had applied for mutual diverse. After getting the diverse what chances do I have to put criminal case against spouse on adultery. I have evidences. Please provide your valuable suggestions.

Answers (2)

174 votes

Dear Madam ji,
Firstly you confirm to me when you got the mutual divorce. Are living separately After divorce.
If your husband did any wrong, After getting divorce , you may file case against your husband.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

335 votes

Unfortunately, a spouse (husband/wife) cannot pursue adultery (section 497 Cr.p.C) case against either the husband or the wife.
In law, you cannot prosecute a woman on the grounds of adultery, even if you have concrete proof against the woman as law presumes, woman is the passive victim and it is the male member responsible for adulterous act.
In case of men, it is the husband who can pursue the case of adultery against the man who had illicit relationship with his wife.
Hope this information is useful.

Popular Criminal Lawyers

Advocate H Gouri Shankar
Dilsukhnagar, Hyderabad
24 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Criminal Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles