Can a criminal matter be reviewed by the same court

I am settled abroad and framed by fake case by police. Recently After hearing to key witnesses,police was supposed to appear for cross examination on following date but they did not appear. Public prosecutor has informed the court that he is no longer interested in this case for which court has dismissed the charges on me. I was not allowed to leave premises of court and was arrested again. Now I'm on bail and came back to India. Do police has to submit fresh charge sheet to court? Can I fight case while being in India or can I ask court to review previous proceedings as It was same court who dismiss the charges.

Answers (3)

127 votes

According to the Constitution of India
[Article : 20] Protection in respect of conviction for offences (2) No person shall be prosecuted and punished for the same offence more than once.
But in your case you have not mention about charges and offences previous and current case are same subject matter or not.
If yes than no and no than yes(about subject matter)

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

265 votes


Your case seems very interesting, but it lacks many details. Was the criminal charge against you in India or abroad ? You mentioned that the charges are dismissed against you, then means legally you are discharged / acquitted, and in that event, you cannot be re-prosecuted, as it will be a case of double jeopardy. This is common law in all countries. So how come fresh charges be framed against you.

Please contact with all case documents.

Popular Criminal Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai
Greater Kailash 1, Delhi
17 years Experience
265 votes


Your query appears to be very incomplete. For giving you a sound legal opinion, you will have to mention more about the case, especially what is the case about and what are the charges involved. Also, please elaborate on how and under what circumstances were you arrested the 2nd time in court premises.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Criminal Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles