A person from my society spreading rumor which is affecting my image

A person from my society spreading reamers which is affecting my character and image in my society. He has said that I ask people for CD or recordings of their intimate scene and moments which is completely wrong even he has said that I have asked him to give recordings of his personal moments with his girlfriend. Can i do legal case against him. I also have a support of mine who can help me to prove him wrong. Actually he said to all that last week when we three including my friend who can help me, were out for a walk when I asked him for that as he calmed but that was wrong.

You first send him a lawyers notice asking him to explain the reasons for spreading rumors within the next 15 days?If the answer is satisfactory then it's ok else you can file defamation suit read with criminal conspiracy etc.
Regards

FILE A FIR AT YOUR LOCAL POLICE STATION AND ALSO SEND ANOTHER COPY OF THE FIR TO THE HEAD OF THE POLICE DEPARTMENT VIZ POLICE COMMISSIONER OR SUPERINTENDENT OF POLICE FOR SPEEDY, EFFECTIVE AND IMPARTIAL POLICE INVESTIGATION TO SOLVE BY INVOKING SPECIALLY SECTION 506 VIZ CRIMINAL INTIMIDATION

At first you can lodge a complaint before the local police station. And if you have sufficient proof in this regard then you can file a defamation case against the person.
But without detail discussion proper consult is not possible