Lift maintenance charges for the building other than residence

should i be paying for the lift maintenance which is available in the two buildings but not in mine as the building has three floors and fsi was not available at that time. so no lift in the building i stay. should i be paying the lift maintenance.

Answers (1)

255 votes

Hi. If your building is registered as a separate society then you can definitely object to the levy of lift charges in your maintenance bill. However in your case it appears that all the 3 buildings are registered as a single society and the society is dividing the charges equally among the flat members of all 3 buildings. In such a case ideally since your building does not have a lift, the society is not justified to levy lift charges in your maintenance bill. I suggest you write a letter to the managing committee requesting to waive the lift charges from your bill since as your building doesn't have a lift, the question of maintaining the lift and therefore levying of charges for the same does not arise in first place. It will also be better if this letter can be addressed by maximum or all flat members in your building. You can also request the society in that letter to convene a special general body meeting for this purpose and pass necessary resolution to waive lift charges for your building which doesn't have a lift. But please remember that in order to compel the society to convene such a meeting there has to be a maximum number of members requesting for the same. In your case it is quite obvious that the members of the other two buildings having lift facility will support you. Therefore it is essential that all the flat members in your building address this letter to the society requesting to convene a special general body meeting so that there is a compelling majority. In the meanwhile you can place on record through the same letter that you will be paying the lift charges on a without prejudice basis and will be entitled to claim refund of the same when the necessary resolution is passed by society or in absence thereof when there is an appropriate court order to that effect. In the event the managing committee of the society, despite being in receipt of the letter as above addressed by majority members, does not take any steps to address your issue, then you will have to approach the co-operative court for resolution of the dispute. Thanx.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Consumer Court Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
27 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
21 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Consumer Court Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles