quesDoes college/university comes under purview of Consumer courts?

I want to file case against my college for not providing services as were promised by them and I want my entire tution fees back from them! Does my college/university come under the purview of consumer courts?

  • ans

    In many such cases, which have come before the National Commission, the apex consumer court has clearly held that providing education is a service and has compensated the aggrieved consumer.

    As per the Judgement – “Ram Kumar Aswani v. M/s A.K. Structural Foam Ltd. 1993 CPC 383″ – A student applying for revaluation of his result comes under the definition of a “Consumer”

    In another case ,  Registrar H.P university v Suresh Kumar 2007(2) CPC, the Complainant could not get admission in M.A. class due to mistake of University which wrongly declared him unsuccessful- University directed to pay compensation of Rs. 50,000  with costs to the complainant

    Also in  the case of Guru Nanak Dev University v. jagjit Singh 2005(1) CPC 490 Pb. , After accepting admission fee from complainant GNDU Amritsar revoked admission due to not having necessary qualification – University directed to refund fee with interest.

    Also in one of the cases , Classes were not started after the university received fee for less number of students (as it was not viable to run the course). The University was directed to refund the amount with cost- (Director, Mahatma Gandhi University v. Gopalkumar. 1999(1) CPC 292).

    Therefore, in view of above mentioned judgement, university and colleges fall within purview of consumer court

  • ansAs per the Law laid down by the H'onble Supreme Court of India, College/universities are out of the preview of the Consumer Courts as "Education is not a kind of service & Education itself is not a commodity".

    The best possible remedy for you would be to file a suit of Recovery against your college to refund the entire fees.

    Advocate Ankit Mahajan

      District Court, Tis Hazari, Delhi

  • ansYes, you can file a consumer complaint against a college in case the college has provided deficient services. The facts of the case are material and correct advise can be given once all the details are bright to light.

    Advocate Jiwan Pal Singh

      Tis Hazari Court, Delhi

  • Send a legal notice for faulty product or service @ Rs. 1499/- only

    Know More
  • Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Consumer Court Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
  • Related Articles

Consult best Consumer Court lawyers in India

Similar questions

i have purchased a new car for taxi purpose and have experience for 30 years…

I have purchase Flat for which I have paid 30% amount for which they have…

sir, i have a number that is working in airtel as well as vodafone .…

I ravi gupta its my pleasure to talk to you sir i am account holder…

Consumer Court Lawyers in India

Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai

  Greater Kailash 1
 Experience: 14 years

Advocate T Kalaiselvan

 Experience: 16 years

Advocate Harish Malhotra

  District Court
 Experience: 19 years

Advocate Ayantika Mondal

 Experience: 8 years

View all >>

Quick Consult

Get 15 Minutes of Expert Legal Advice on Phone right now

Ask a Free Question

Post a Question online and get free advice from multiple lawyers by email

Find a Lawyer

Easily find and book private consults with top lawyers in India

Get Fee Estimate

Receive multiple quotations for your legal requirement instantly