What is the validity of an unregistered POA

I had given the power of attorney to my mother along with my brother and 2 sisters on 22/07/2000, after the death of my father for my ancestor’s house in our native place (Raigad District). POA is not registered; only Notary has been done. On May 2015, I knew that all of them without informing me gave that property to a builder for development. Now the building is ready. Then immediately I revoked the POA by giving proper notice to my mother through advocate. Can that transaction be illegal, as POA is not registered? Is there any time limit for POA? I have heard that Supreme Court has recently ruled that a POA for immovable properties should be registered. I do not know whether she has registered the transaction with Builder in registration office. If not, my presence in the registration office is necessary or not? Do they require my signature, thumb impression, photo, etc in the presence of Registrar? Can I execute stay order?

Answers (1)

288 votes

Yes you can file a suit for perpetual injunction and khas possession of the said land property from the concern builder who develop the said land.
first thing is that you are one of the legal heir of your father and you have a equal right in the said property . Being as a legal owner it is obligatory on the part of that concern builder to obtain your consent and signature by using legal means . So without obtaining your consent and signature the Development agreement which was executed between your mother and other legal heirs of your father totally is illegal and void in the eyes of law.
Second thing is that the power of attorney was not duly registered before the Register. so the document which is not duly register before Register has no any legal value in the eyes of law. So you can challenge all this things before court of law by filing a separate suit.
Thank you.
From- Adv. Sachin Prayag,Pune.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Civil Lawyers

Advocate H Gouri Shankar
Dilsukhnagar, Hyderabad
24 years Experience
Advocate Peeyush Kaushik
Dwarka District Court, Delhi
12 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
26 years Experience
Advocate Vijay Tangri
Saket, Delhi
21 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Civil Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

"LawRato.com has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles