Procedure to stop construction of car parking in front of house

Hi, I live in a 2 BHK at ground floor of a residential society in Mumbai. My building is surrounded by garden from three sides. Since, my flat is at ground floor, my living room’s and both of my bedroom’s front view is that garden. This is something which was right there since the beginning at the time of construction. And that’s why we bought that house citing the beautiful scenery around our house. Recently, there have been a lot of parking issues in our society. And the committee in our society is planning to remove all those gardens in front of our house to create parking spaces. That, means cars just outside our windows. I believe there is a law that doesn’t allow such kind of thing. Someone told me that, one cannot build anything in a space of 10 feet around the building. Please let me know, if there is anything we can do legally to stop this construction.

Answers (2)

334 votes

Yes legally speaking 10 feet space should be kept free surrounding the building but at the same time as the society has full authority to have a temporary structure such as a normal shed and consider and request for temperarory car parking areas we can only contest in court for fighting out but frankly speaking if we request our society association to sort out matter amicably it is more advisable.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

232 votes

As per your query

Once the buliding plan has been sanctioned by the Municipal authorities no one can make chnges in the same without prior sanction of the municipal authority. If any one including society is carrying out any construction you can file complaint in Municipal corporation for illegal acts of society.


Popular Civil Lawyers

Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
27 years Experience
Advocate Kapil Chandna
Patiala House Court, Delhi
9 years Experience
Advocate Kapil Chandna
Patiala House Court, Delhi
9 years Experience
Advocate Ravi Jadhav
Koregaon Park, Pune
13 years Experience
Report abuse?

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Civil Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles