Living in housing society neighbor's pet creating nuisance

I am living in a housing society where one family has a pet dog which is a nuisance. They don't follow any rules for the pet animals. I doubt the dog has got vaccination. The dog defecates in the open area. Please guide what action can be taken against them.

Answers (3)

178 votes

Make an application regarding the said nuisance to your municipal authorities. If they don't respond then you can send them legal notice and if they still don't then approach Local court for nuisance cause by dog.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

233 votes

Consider making a written complaint to the society. The bye-laws of the society may have certain covenants regarding keeping animals as pets and steps which the owners may be required to take to ensure that no nuisance is caused on account of such pet animal(s).

Popular Civil Lawyers

Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
27 years Experience
Advocate Kapil Chandna
Patiala House Court, Delhi
9 years Experience
Advocate Vivek Sharma
Govindpuram, Ghaziabad
5 years Experience
Advocate Ravi Jadhav
Koregaon Park, Pune
13 years Experience
150 votes

First of all Request the owner to show vaccination card and Licence of the dog, and tell him about nuisance (barking and howling). If the dog is not vaccinated you can complain to municipal Authority and police Authority.

If the dog is vaccinated, then walking dog in open area is no issue and you can not fight it.

However defecation and other routine of the pet depends on owner, Mentioned him not leave it's potty on open area, but for that make sure there is no Invention of any other dog (stray dogs in society premise).

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Civil Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles