Is it possible to ask refund for the days I have not stayed in hostel

I took admission in NIT Jamshedpur for MSc course ( academic year 2017-18) but within one month of the starting of the classes, I got an opportunity to get admitted into Hyderabad Central university ( the entrance exams & counseling process for both the institutes are different ). So, I left NIT Jamshedpur and after much request, they have refunded just the Caution money. I wish to get the refund of my - i) academic fee ( with some deduction, of course ) ; ii) my hostel security fee ; iii) my hostel fee ( after deduction as per my number of days of stay ) . Please suggest if it is legally possible, and if yes, what route should I take ? Thanks.

Answers (3)

313 votes

First of all you are the concerned principal. He sent legal notice to the Education Officer and Education Secretary. If your pension is not released even after this, file a case in the of consumer court.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

176 votes

It depends upon the rules framed by the Institute. Also, You may not have a right to get refund of academic fee except caution money, because you occupied a seat and thereafter vacant due to which the Institute has to make an exercis of new admission or probably they may not get.

Popular Civil Lawyers

Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
27 years Experience
Advocate Kapil Chandna
Patiala House Court, Delhi
9 years Experience
Advocate Vivek Sharma
Govindpuram, Ghaziabad
5 years Experience
Advocate Ravi Jadhav
Koregaon Park, Pune
13 years Experience
345 votes

Dear Citizen,
Your refund depends upon the conditions of the enrollment documents signed by you. You are contractually bound by them. As an attorney it would be difficult for us to advise without going through the terms and conditions. Try responding with the terms and condition.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Civil Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles