How to file for divorce if husband is already married?

Mere partner me mujhse dhoke she shadi Ki h WO pehle hi shadishuda h or 2bediya. B h or pehli wife she divorce b nhi hua h

Answers (5)

171 votes


yes, you can easily file a divorce petition against your husband in order to get divorce, because your husband is very well culprit of BIGAMY under HMA Act. and the marriage is void itself in the eyes of law, if the date of such marriage either party had a husband or wife living.

Moreover, some penal actions shall also be applied against him.


Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

291 votes

If your partner is already married, your marriage with you is null and void by itself and no divorce required. Only marriages which are valid can be dissolved by decree of divorce and not those which are already not in existence as in your case. Maximum you can file criminal complaint against him for bigamy under section 495 IPC and cheating u/s 420 IPC for not disclosing about his previous marriage and children out of the marriage and taking consent for your marriage

Popular Civil Lawyers

Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
26 years Experience
Advocate Vijay Tangri
Saket, Delhi
21 years Experience
Advocate Kapil Chandna
Patiala House Court, Delhi
8 years Experience
Advocate Ravi Jadhav
Koregaon Park, Pune
12 years Experience
214 votes

for a valid marriage it is required that the parties to marriage shall not have living spouse and if there is living spouse then in such case the second marriage is not valid. In other words it can be said that second marriage is no marriage. Hence there is no requirement for divorce from the second marriage. The person deceived by such second marriage can get remarried without any divorce, as he/she is not legally considered married under the circumstances of second marriage, as is your case.

116 votes

If your husband is already married, ur marriage is null and void. But if you want you can file a divorce petition bigamy is a ground for that. You can also file a criminal complaint against your husband if you want.

208 votes

You can file a divorce petition to declare the marriage null and void under section 11 of Hindu Marriage Act and court after going through the case can pass the decree. You can also file a criminal complaint u/s 494 Bigamy i. e Marriage again during the lifetime of first wife and he can be punished upto 7 years for that

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Civil Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles