How can I alter my name in my CBSE certificates

Hi, so my surname is missing in my CBSE Certificates but it the there in Birth Certificate and all other govt documents. Please advice me how to get my surname added in CBSE certificates since i need it for my passport application. Tnks. I passed out in 2009 so approaching CBSE is not going to help now.

Answers (3)

201 votes

You can use any of the following list of acceptable documents and don’t need to change your name in CBSE for passport application:
1 Birth Certificate issued by the Registrar of Births and Deaths or the Municipal Corporation or any other prescribed authority,whosoever has been empowered under the Registration of Birth and Deaths Act, 1969 to register the birth of a child born in India
2 Transfer/School leaving/Matriculation Certificate issued by the school last attended/recognised educational board
3 Policy Bond issued by the Public Life Insurance Corporations/Companies having the DOB of the holder of the insurance policy
4 Copy of an extract of the service record of the applicant (only in respect of Government servants) or the Pay Pension Order (in respect of retired Government Servants), duly attested/certified by the officer/in-charge of the Administration of the concerned Ministry/Department of the applicant
5 Aadhaar Card/E-Aadhaar
6 Election Photo Identity Card (EPIC) issued by the Election Commission of India
7 PAN Card issued by the Income Tax Department
8 Driving License issued by the Transport department of concerned state Government
9 A declaration given by the Head of the Orphanage/Child Care Home on their official letter head of the organization confirming the DOB of the applicant

For more details check this link:

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

89 votes

TO get the name added you have to file a petition in the civil court and bonafidely show the reasons of adding the same.Besides this a publication will also be done .Therefore once you get the decree of court then your surname can be added .Please contact for further details Thanks.

Popular Civil Lawyers

Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
27 years Experience
Advocate Kapil Chandna
Patiala House Court, Delhi
9 years Experience
Advocate Kapil Chandna
Patiala House Court, Delhi
9 years Experience
Advocate Ravi Jadhav
Koregaon Park, Pune
13 years Experience
137 votes

so if in case you have your surname mentioned in all your other documents it shall be sufficient for you to apply for your passport because the basic purpose of the CBSE certificates is to authenticate the birth date which i am presuming is mentioned correctly, if in case the same doesn't help you can simply first approach CBSE and then file a writ petition directing the CBSE as well as the passport authority to issue you a passport

Report abuse?

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Civil Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles