Gf's mother threatening her to commit suicide what to do

Sir, I am in a relationship since 4 years.I am a engineer graduate.Presently preparing for govt job.My girlfriend's mother does not want our relationship.presently she is threatening my girlfriend that she will commit suicide if we ever try to marry and the retribution will not be good.What kind of step should I take now?Please do let me know.Thank you.

Answers (3)

339 votes

your girl friend can lodge complaint against her mother before any Police station,if police refused then she can file complaint before any magistrate court in the local jurisdiction, if she is major .

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

184 votes

You can file a general Diary against the person. It is different from an F.I.R.

Keep in mind that a General Diary is only a safety and informative step . State your facts to the police and keep a copy of the same for your own safety.

The police shall have knowledge about the fact and in such event of suicide you shall be on safe grounds.

Such threats fall under the ambit of section 388 and 389 of I.P.C. also attempts to commit suicide is an offence so should not worry about the same as long as you are 21 years of age and the girl is of 18 years.

Popular Civil Lawyers

Advocate Gouri Shankar Hemekari
Dilsukhnagar, Hyderabad
23 years Experience
Advocate Peeyush Kaushik
Dwarka District Court, Delhi
11 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
25 years Experience
Advocate Vijay Tangri
Saket, Delhi
20 years Experience
148 votes

If you both are adult then legally no one can stop you to get married. It should be both of your choice. But we are social animal. We have some duties and responsibilities towards our parents. So, it would be better if you can convince her mother with reasoning for this marriage. Try to take help of your parents. Feel free to contact me for more detailed advice. I shall be able to give you more appropriate advice if can know the detailed facts.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Civil Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles