Gf's mother threatening her to commit suicide what to do

Sir, I am in a relationship since 4 years.I am a engineer graduate.Presently preparing for govt job.My girlfriend's mother does not want our relationship.presently she is threatening my girlfriend that she will commit suicide if we ever try to marry and the retribution will not be good.What kind of step should I take now?Please do let me know.Thank you.

your girl friend can lodge complaint against her mother before any Police station,if police refused then she can file complaint before any magistrate court in the local jurisdiction, if she is major .

You can file a general Diary against the person. It is different from an F.I.R.

Keep in mind that a General Diary is only a safety and informative step . State your facts to the police and keep a copy of the same for your own safety.

The police shall have knowledge about the fact and in such event of suicide you shall be on safe grounds.

Such threats fall under the ambit of section 388 and 389 of I.P.C. also attempts to commit suicide is an offence so should not worry about the same as long as you are 21 years of age and the girl is of 18 years.

Advocate Swapnil Jamkar
Chhatrapati Square, Nagpur
Advocate Surangama Sharma
Gomti Nagar, Lucknow

If this is mere threat then you can ignore. ido not think any person even would think of committing suicide let alone doing it only because she has despise/dislike for her daughter's boyfriend.
Since both of you are adult no one can stop you from performing marriage though whether you would marry or not in the wake of opposition of her mother that would be purely your personal decisison.

Hello,
If you both are adult then legally no one can stop you to get married. It should be both of your choice. But we are social animal. We have some duties and responsibilities towards our parents. So, it would be better if you can convince her mother with reasoning for this marriage. Try to take help of your parents. Feel free to contact me for more detailed advice. I shall be able to give you more appropriate advice if can know the detailed facts.