Complaint against person for defamation

A person has been telling people that I'm HIV positive alongside my Girlfriend which is not true. I confronted him about what he said and he still insists that we are both positive and kept on bullying us on whatsapp messages. Multiple witnesses were around when he shouted out that I'm HIV positive when i simply told him "you bring people that have HIV to your house and leave your girlfriend alone at home".. what is said was very much true and everyone knows it. I want to know how to file this defamation suit, I live in baroda, so which court should I file this suit because I can't afford a lawyer.

Answers (2)

vadodara would be the jurisdiction and it can be filed in Chief metro court, vadodara.
you need to have advocate unless you yourself would pledge the matter
the contents of whatsapp may be defamatory as well as a criminal offence can be made out of it if the ditto words are examined as an material of the case.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

With respect to your desire of filing a defamation suit, you need to firstly check which court has jurisdiction, wherein here I assume that since the cause of action has arisen in Baroda, you approach the City Civil Court there. That would be Nyay Mandir, District Court.

File a suit for defamation and you can plead as party in person and then claim reasonable compensation. You need to show how these slanderous comments have caused legal injury to you.

There is no specified format for calculating compensation but be reasonable in your demand.

Since you cannot afford the fees, I suggest you gain legal opinion from me and I will guide you with format and all the procedure aspects to file and proceed with your defamation suit. I would charge very less and you can fight the case on your own, viewing your financial constraint.

Advocate K. K Trivedi

Popular Civil Lawyers

Advocate Saifuddin Saifee
Maharani Road, Indore
18 years Experience
Advocate Jai Shiv Darshan Giri
Santoshi Nagar, Ring Road Chowk, Raipur
14 years Experience
Advocate Swapnil Jamkar
Chhatrapati Square, Nagpur
10 years Experience
Advocate Surangama Sharma
Gomti Nagar, Lucknow
4 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Civil Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Articles

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Similar questions

FIR registered against me by name under sections 302,120B,34 IPC in the year 2007. Police filed untraceable report in Punjab & Haryana High Court. I h…

Read More

How to file a complaint against a lawyer? What is the procedure? Which body governs this? Is this the bar council? Can a lawyer be sued for his/her po…

Read More

If a Business Firm Registered in Delhi but the Propriter lives in Hapur. Can he register an FIR in Hapur?…

Read More

how much amount can be claimed from the petitioner as penalty, when the court decides the petitioner has filed the case with a forged document?? is it…

Read More

Talk to a lawyer for your legal issue