Can a college restrict my freedom of movement during class hours

Does a college have the power legally to prevent a student , who is an adult, to leave the college campus at his wish during class hour My college locks up the main gate and prevents me from leaving the campus. Can I challenge it legally. They are essentially restricting my right to free movement.

It is your duty to obey the rules and regulations of the college / school. No student should leave the class room during a lecture without the permission of the teacher. A student who is not in the class when attendance is taken will be marked absent. Most of the colleges are lock the main gate and restricted the entry from outsiders also not to permit the students to go outside at the time of working hours. The law only protected non-discriminatory treatment (in the sense of absence of harassment, victimization or exclusion) in every aspect of institutional functioning. Any discrimination based on caste, gender, creed, colour, race, religion, place of birth, political conviction, language and disability shall be prohibited. It does not amount to a right of free movement.

Advocate Kapil Chandna
Patiala House Court, Delhi