Summon received for a cheque bounce case

I issued cheque to one of my clients in 2014. and received summon from Court in Patiala on 16 March 2016. What should be my next step.

Answers (1)

181 votes

In case of a cheque bounce case the, the payee has to issue a legal notice first. The demand notice must be sent within 30 days from the date cheque issued has bounced. There is no prescribed format for this notice. Its purpose is to demand payment and inform the issuer that he or she will be prosecuted if payment is not made within 15 day. If the payment is not made within such prescribed time then the payee has to file a complaint within 30 days from the expiry of 15 days notice.
In case where you have received summons from the court, first thing you need to do is to make yourself present in the court on such date.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Cheque Bounce Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate Saifuddin Saifee
Maharani Road, Indore
18 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
18 years Experience
Advocate Shikhar Khare
Jangpura Extension, Delhi
6 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Cheque Bounce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Articles

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Similar questions

we paid the money and received rubberstamp on plain paper briefing amount and cheque number 20 years ago. Received notice from firm for cheque return …

Read More

Sir I have to take money from somone, who has died with signatures on his cheques. when I filed cheque bounced cases before MM, who dismissed that sig…

Read More

We are private limited company. We under BIFR right now i.e Board of Industrial and Financial Reconstruction. We have given out to some cheque to som…

Read More

We have started business 3 years back with 4 partners, where 2 partners invested 7 lac as capital and from the other 2 partners one provided guarantee…

Read More